Skip to content

Songer Benefits, Inc. Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Medicare Part A: Hospital Inpatient Insurance

Part A covers your inpatient hospital care when a doctor admits you to a hospital that accepts Medicare to treat your illness or injury; this can include acute care hospitals if all required conditions are met. Critical access hospitals are usually small hospitals in rural areas. Long term care hospitals specialized in treating patients who are hospitalized for more than 25 days, search as those who use a ventilator for an extended period or have experienced a severe wound or head injury or have an ongoing medical condition that may not improve and treatment as medically necessary to help prevent it from getting worse: psychiatric hospital units, psychiatric hospitals. Rehab facilities usually are inpatient. Religious non-medical health care institutions when whatever religious beliefs do not allow you to receive medical care. Medicare will cover the non-religious, non-medical items and services provided in a religious non-medical healthcare institution, such as meals, room, and unmedicated wound dressings.

Part A generally covers skilled care in a skilled nursing facility on a short-term basis if most or all required conditions are met. You must have part a, with days left in your benefit. You are entering the skilled nursing facility within 30 days of leaving a hospital where you had a three-day qualifying hospital today. Your doctor has decided that you need daily skilled care given by or under the supervision of skilled nursing or therapy staff in a skilled nursing facility certified by Medicare for these services. You need skilled services for a medical condition that's either a hospital-related medical condition treated during your hospital stay or a condition that started while you were getting care in a skilled nursing facility for a hospital-related medical condition. Skilled nursing care in a skilled nursing facility includes but may not be limited to ambulance transportation to the nearest supplier of needed services that aren't available at the skilled nursing facility when other transportation endangers health.

Part A covers eligible home health care services if all required conditions are met. A doctor or a health care professional who works with your doctor must see you face to face and certify that you need home health services because you have trouble leaving your home without help due to an illness or injury, and recommend that you not leave home because of your condition. You may be able to leave home for medical treatments or short, infrequent absences for non-medical reasons such as to attend religious services. Home health care includes injectable osteoporosis drugs for women, intermittent skilled nursing care, medical social services, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology services, physical therapy.

Part A also covers Hospice care services to manage symptoms and pain related to a terminal illness if all required conditions are met. A Hospice doctor and your doctor must certify that you are terminally ill and have a life expectancy of six months or less. Hospice patients receive palliative care, which focuses on keeping them comfortable rather than carrying for their illness. Hospice care can include dietary counseling, durable medical equipment, doctor services, occupational therapy, short-term inpatient care, and others.